Friday, July 20, 2018

The Injury Chronicles

I hope this is the first and only update I share about the ailments that have been nagging me and at times getting in the way of my marathon training!


DATE: December 2017

AILMENT: IT Band Tightness

CAUSE: Stupid decisions like two a day workouts or too many days of HIIT workouts in a row

SYMPTOMS: Uncomfortable deep, dull, ache on both sides of hips after high impact workouts

CURE: 6+ Weeks Physical Therapy with lots of stretching and muscle "release" therapy

UPDATE: Ailment continues to be a nagging issue even in July, though soreness does not last as long as it did back in December


DATE: MAY 27, 2018

AILMENT: Sprained Ankle

CAUSE: Too much fun at a lakehouse

SYMPTOMS: Swelling of ankle, inability to put full pressure on left foot

CURE: RICE- Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation (1 week off running)

UPDATE: Ankle is fine but I'm now pretty committed to avoiding soccer altogether through this marathon training


DATE: JULY 2018

AILMENT: [Self-diagnosed] Plantar Fasciitis

CAUSE: Hill workouts, a lot of long runs

SYMPTOMS: Pain in the heel and sole of the foot

CURE: TBD. Calf stretching seems to help. All I know is I'm not about to buy Skechers Shape Up-type running shoes.


78 days til Marathon Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment